Monday, April 23, 2012

Tempting Top Ten: Time Travel and Tea

Do I win a prize for having six T words in my title for today? Since it's time for T in the A-Z blogging challenge.

Before I alliterate you to death, my original plan for today was to post on time management. Because that's my toughest and most troubling weakness, and if I put together a list of ten tempting ways to save time, it would be win-win for me and for readers stopping by, too.

But oh so much more FUN to post about two things I love, instead: Time travel and tea. After all, who needs time management if you can time travel? And what good is either one without tea?

However for those who are interested in the practical side of things, here's a tremendous list of 10 time-saving tips (sorry, my subconscious keeps inserting all these T words) compiled by one of my blogging friends, Jackie Alston.

Now that I've dealt quickly with time management, I'm torn. Because I can't do a top ten list for both time travel and tea. One appeals to the scientific-minded, or those who like stories with a neat twist. The other appeals to those who love the down-home coziness and comforting tangibility and taste of tea. But, I fear that I run the risk of alienating coffee-lovers, so I'm choosing time travel over tea, but not without first providing a link to a tantalizing collection of tea quotes.

What exactly is so tempting about time travel? For me, it's all the possibilities it opens up. Changing the past, or changing the future. Or in Hermione Granger's case, generating extra time to get things done, or to be in two places at the same time. Best of all the unexpected twists and paradoxes and causal loops due to time travel, like in Ray Bradbury's awesome short story, A Sound of Thunder, which introduces the "butterfly effect."

Okay, enough toying around. Here's my top ten list for time travel (movies and/or fiction):

10. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (you'll have a whole new appreciation of Keanu Reeves after this one!)

9. The Time Machine (H.G. Wells)
8. The Time Bandits
7. Back to the Future movies
6. Timeline (Michael Crichton)
5. A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle)
4. The Terminator movies

3. Star Trek (many, many episodes and movies with time travel)
2. The Time Traveler's Wife (the book is much more time twisty terrific than the movie)
1.  Déjà Vu (2006 version with Denzel Washington)

Worth mentioning: some additional time-travel movies and books (a couple of these are still on my to-read or to-see list):  Timecrimes, 12 Monkeys, Thief of Time, Primer, Butterfly Effect, Somewhere in Time, Pathfinder, Dr. Who, and Gates of Annubis.

Last not but not least, Randy Ingermanson (the Snowflake Guy) has a wonderful post on time travel for true time travel geeks, in which he lists several more time travel books that just tiptoed onto my to-read list. 

And, just because I really do love tea as much as time travel, I leave you with this awesome quote:
As far as her mom was concerned, tea fixed everything. Have a cold? Have some tea. Broken bones? There's a tea for that too. Somewhere in her mother's pantry, Laurel suspected, was a box of tea that said, 'In case of Armageddon, steep three to five minutes'.  - Aprilynne Pike, Illusions

Which would you have chosen? Time management, time travel, or tea??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

My Blog List