I've been waffling over whether to post this, because it seems kind of silly. The Croods isn't an epic movie, or even a particularly memorable one. But I'm going to call this a celebration of imagination.
1. Earlier this year, one top ten prompt was concepts/settings we'd like to see more of, and I wanted some more settings like Avatar. Dangerous and beautiful, outrageously imaginative, with lots of new animals. Thank you, makers of the Croods, for feeling the same way. This prehistoric fantasy world blends leopards with owls, macaws with saber-tooths, elephants with mice, birds with piranhas, whales with...rhinos? For someone crazy about mythical creatures, these creature-concoctions were pure delight.
2. The animation. The scene when Eep sees fire for the first time - the dance of embers in the night sky - so beautiful. And the scene with the stars. Even displayed our old, old TV, about as far from high definition as you can get, the stars were amazing. Oh, and that tropical water? Most delicious water I've ever seen.
3. The love of story telling. When I start reading or telling a story to one of my kids, the other three will magically appear to listen, too. So when the Croods get a chance to hear a new story, told by Guy, I loved how they waited with wide eyes, breathless to hear him tell a story.
4. Great voices. Emma Stone voices Eep, and I could close my eyes and listen to her voice all day. Grug is voiced by Nicolas Cage.
5. A different kind of beauty. Eep's face is odd-shaped, her body is squat and compact, and she's incredibly strong. She's not built like a supermodel or a Barbie, but she's beautiful.
6. Guy is THE cutest boy I've ever seen, animated or not. My personal opinion, people, don't judge me :)
7. Belt, Guy's pet, is pretty cute too.
8. "Release the baby!"
9. "I thought he was a wart hog, but he turned into a boy." "Strange, usually it's the reverse."
10. "He was a hunter, I was a gatherer. We were quite the scandal."
What silly or imaginative thing has made you happy lately?
What You Need to Know About Internalization - *By Janice Hardy, @Janice_Hardy* Before I dive in, a quick heads up that I’m over at Writers in the Storm today, chatting about a handy tip to help you ge...
2 hours ago