Tuesday, February 11, 2014

10 crazy ways to fall in love

Or, top ten books that will make you swoon.

I've already done a top ten list on my all-time favorite love stories here (Beauty and the Beast, The Time Traveler's Wife, and Jane Austen's Persuasion are on that list), so last year I started a tradition of listing my favorite love stories from the past 12 months. 

Top Ten Tuesday is  an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish blog with a different top ten list theme (all related to books) every Tuesday (see the full list here). 

My top ten favorite love stories read from February 2013-2014...
(and a link to my top ten from February 2012-2013)

10. Parallel, by Lauren Miller. "Falling in love with your boyfriend's brother" - except, it's not quite as bad as it sounds, because it's Abby's parallel (herself in another dimension) who's falling in love with her boyfriend's brother. And that's why this odd love story appealed to me, because of the twisty effects of one girl living two different lives (sort of).

9. The Art of Wishing, by Lindsay Ribar. "Falling in love with your genie." Falling in love with a mythical creature! Oh, be still my mythic-loving heart!


8. Linked, by Imogen Howson. "Realizing that boy that always acted so superior to you was actually in love with you."  Elissa can't stand Cadan, who thinks he's so special because he gets to captain a space ship. But when she's forced to flee for her life, Cadan's ship is her only hope of escape.


7. Eleanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell. "Falling in love sharing headphones." There's so much more to their love story than just listening to music together, but it's such a simple but brilliant way to start it all.

6. The Golem and the Jinni, by Helene Wecker. This isn't actually a love story, but I kept thinking the golem and the jinni would fall in love with each other (they didn't). But the possibility of having two such drastically different mythical beings fall in love captivated my imagination.

5. The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green. "Falling in love over the same book."  This isn't the main reason why Hazel and Augustus fall in love, but it is, for this book-crazy girl, one of the best reasons.

4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone, by Laini Taylor. This is the love story of Karou and Akiva and Madrigal, but it's not a love triangle, as the three names might imply. It is a love story involving mythical creatures and magic and mystery, and that's all I dare hint at without giving too much away.


3. The Queen of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner. I can't even categorize this love story without giving away the shocking and beautiful uniqueness of it.

2. Alienated, by Melissa Landers.  "Falling in love with an alien." This doesn't sound particularly romantic, but oh my, you're just going to have to trust me on this one.

1. These Broken Stars, by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. "A survival love story."  This is sort of like the movie Titanic, set in space: poor boy and rich girl, doomed luxury liner, odds of surviving not good. But there is an unexpected dimension that makes this really stand out as a truly unforgettable love story.

What was your favorite love story from the past year?

14 comments:

  1. I adore Megan Whalen Turner. Many of the rest of these are on my to be read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def. agree with Eleanor and Park! And there are a couple on there I still want to read. esp. after your review of Alienated! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh you can't go wrong with Alienated. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. It has contemporary feel to it.

      Delete
  3. I like 5 and 7. :-) I read a different kind of love story recently that I loved, one between a grandson and granddad. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What book was it?? I love those kinds of love stories, too. I'm writing one with a sort of grandpa figure in it, he is growing on me even more than the love interest :)

      Delete
  4. OMG! YES YES YES with Daughter of Smoke & Bone! I'm on the final pages of the book right now with book 2 waiting in front of me! Absolutely magical and beautifully written! *sigh* The Golem and the Jinni is another book I am currently reading and I keep thinking the same, when are they going to fall in love? Also I'd love to read a Rainbow Rowell book to add some more swoonable books to my list b/c I only have 7 on my list today! SMH!!! I know! I need to add more romantical books in my life hahahahaa! Anyway GREAT LIST! Come on by and check my Top 7 out :)
    bookhangoversbb.blogspot.com ~~ HAPPY READING xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved reading your list!!! Several other ones we we have in common too. And based on your rec, going to read the Lumatere chronicles.

      Delete
  5. I always love your top ten lists. I've only read (and by read, I mean 'listened to') These Broken Stars. Maybe I need to read more books about falling in love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to discuss These Broken STars with you now that I know you've read it!

      Delete
  6. The Fault in Our Stars is a good one! I keeping hearing good things about Eleanor and Park. I haven't read a good love story in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read ALL of these books, and reread the ones I've already read! I keep hearing about THESE BROKEN STARS and I really need to grab myself a copy. Happy Valentine's Day Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the past year? Had to go look at my Goodreads list!

    I'd have to say it was Mary Carter's "The Pub Across the Pond." It is a fun romance set in Ireland featuring an American girl and an Irish guy. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol, I need to read more YA to be able to answer that question. But I love your list of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I confess I've only read one of these, but in my defense it's your #1. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

My Blog List