Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Insecure writer: trying not to break the chain

Last year for the January post for Insecure Writers I posted about how I don't do writing resolutions... or life resolutions... or any sort of resolutions, because by March or April I'm all resolutioned out. And then the insecurity kicks in. I've failed with them way too many times. (except my reading resolutions... because those are so easy; when life gets hard, I escape to books. When life is good, I escape to books).  
The first Wednesday of the month
 is time for Insecure Writers Support Group,
hosted by Alex Cavanaugh and his
excellent team. 
 But I do love monthly goals. So my writing goals this month are to try some writing motivational techniques. A writer friend told me about this simple technique: for each day you accomplish your writing goal, add a paper clip to your paper clip chain. If you miss a day, you have to start a new chain all over. I forgot to start this on January 1st, but I did start on the 3rd and I have a teeny little paperclip chain going now. Last night I didn't have any time to write till 9:15pm when I got the kids to bed, and I was so tired, I just wanted to stretch out with a good book; writing meant putting my brain back to work again. But that would mean starting the chain again, after only two days! So I got 45 minutes of writing in.

I'm actively looking for other writers to share short term goals with and keep each other motivated, by email or twitter or any method. Even if you're just popping by for the first time, don't be shy! I'd love to connect with you. A good way to battle writing insecurity is to be part of a motivational team. 

Ending this post now so I can go get my writing done early today, Here are a few of my favorite writing pins from last month for inspiration. 





14 comments:

  1. That's a great idea, Margo! Although I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to break the chain. I'd love to be part of a motivational team. I need it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to be part of a motivational team. I'm hoping to get back to my writing once I find a new job. Finding one is a full-time job. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending you good job-getting vibes. That is a full time job!

      Delete
  3. While I think about my writing everyday, and what I'm doing with my story, I don't have time to write everyday, as much as I'd like to.

    I just followed you on Twitter. Feel free to follow back and we can chat some more backchannel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quotes---that last one speaks to me the most. I think it's great to be accountable to others working diligently to achieve similar goals. It's like a having an exercise partner for writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are wonderful quotes to start off the year! I think the second is my favorite, but they're all so great. Good luck on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all those quotes~ that Laini Taylor one is pretty darn cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quotes! I like your paper clip chain idea. I use a journal and mark out how many pages I want to work on in a month. Once I've written in the journal, then I turn to my pc and work there. It helps me get started each day.
    Best wishes with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those quote. Absolutely fantastic. I especially like the one by laini taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the paperclip idea - haven't heard of that one before.

    I don't do too well with resolutions, either. But I came across a fantastic quote today that just made me breathe a huge sigh of relief: "It's good to be God-reliant rather than self-reliant." --Jolene Engle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your idea of a group. I have one already or I would join yours, but it is a wonderful idea and does work very well. Good for you on keeping the chain going. I might try that as well! Sorry it's taken this long to get over by way of IWSG, but at least I made it before the end of the month!! Marketing! Arg. Hate how it eats up time...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you. Short term goals are much easier to accomplish than grand designs for fixing the universe.

    Incidentally, I hear that the paper-clip-chain-bit works for weight loss too.

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

My Blog List