Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Top Ten Rewind: Fictional Crushes

Top Ten Rewind means you pick any theme from previous Top Tens you missed. A couple weeks ago I missed the Top Ten "Characters I Would Crush On If I Were Also A Fictional Character"  - isn't that clever wording they used for that theme? Nicely absolving us of any guilt? 

Ten Tuesday is  an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish blog with a different top ten list theme (all related to books) every Tuesday (see the full list here). 

Without further ado, here are my top ten fictional crushes.  To avoid copyright issues,  I've linked to some images  instead of posting them (movie stills are promotional, so I think they are okay)(?) 

 10.  Hector from  Crown of Embers, by Rae Carson.  In love with his Queen (who he can't hope to marry) and charged with the role of protecting her life.  Ben Barnes in armor, oh hello there Hector. 



9. Ash from The Iron Fey Series, by Julie Kagawa.  Prince of the winter fae, he's been raised to be cold and cruel and ruthless like the rest of family. Despite everything, he emerges with a heroic heart.  I'm going way out on a limb here (this isn't remotely fae), but as a nod to Kagawa's name and my own love of multicultural heroes, here's how I picture Ash.

8. Beast from Beauty, by Robin McKinley. While Disney did a decent job getting us to fall in love with the Beast (yes, it's still my favorite kissing scene evah), this book blows the movie version away. This beast is less comical, more tragic, far more romantic.

7. Captain Wentworth from Persuasion, by Jane Austen.  Forget stuffy Mr. Darcy. Wentworth is a captain of a powerful Napoleonic-era warship.  And he remains loyal to Anne even though her family forced her to reject his love.  This is Sean Bean from the 1997 movie Anna Karenina, but he's also a nice Wentworth. 


6. Marcus from the Mark of the Lion series, by Francine Rivers. A rich, spoiled but smart young man in ancient Rome who falls in love with the last person he ever expected.  He starts out haughty but turns into a gentleman, and I still love his transformation after re-reading his two books at least half a dozen times.  I simply can't find any pictures to do him justice. 

5.  The Darkling, from Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo. Because I had to have one "I love to hate him" bad guy on my list. Here's a couple close possibilities from Deviant Art. The intense look, and the don't mess with me look. 

4. Gavriel Duval from Grave Mercy, by R.L. LaFevers.  There's so many interesting things about this guy: a knight from 1400's Brittany, an illegitimate  nobleman, a devoted brother, possible ally or possible enemy to a most unusual assassin.   Orlando Bloom from Kingdom of Heaven is close, but not quite - Gavriel has a sterner, more worried face than boyish Orlando. 



3. Wesley, from the Archived, by Victoria Schwab.  Light-hearted and goth at the same time. Close to this interesting guy from Deviant Art. 

2. Faramir, from Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien. 
Forget the movie version, please. Just wipe that image from your mind. I get so distressed with movies when they don't get the character anywhere close to what I had in my mind. In fact, the movie doesn't do him justice is so many ways; you just have to read the book. Here's something much closer to this noble character, in my mind. 

1. Corlath, from the Blue Sword, by Robin McKinley.  There is simply no way to give justice to this wild hill king in a sentence, nor is there any photo or depiction, real or imagined, that has yet captured his quality. But I have to give this Deviant artist credit for a good try

Who are some of your fictional crushes?

18 comments:

  1. Great list! Wentworth and Faramir also made my list the other week when I did this meme <3

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh heck yes to Hector and Duval they are both so dreamy

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must meet this Hector that I keep hearing about, lol. Love Duval and Ash. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samuel Vimes of The Watch in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series!! Now there's a man's man!! :-) Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Ben Barnes also Prince Caspian??? Man, is he something. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stuffy Mr. Darcy! He can be a bit uptight, but man I love him. I love that he admits he was snobby) and that he is actually a nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are some pretty good-looking guys here. Mr. Darcy in Bridget Jones's Diary was a good catch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you mentioned the Beast. That is one of my favorite books.

    And though I agree that Faramir is so much better in the books than the movie, I do love him in the movie.

    This was a fun post. I might steal it :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it bad that I haven't read most of these books? The only one I've read is Lord of the Rings, and it's hard not for the movie to come to my mind instead of the book. So... I guess that means you can keep all of these fictional boyfriends since I don't need them ;) Great TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a dreamy list. Some of my fictional crushes are just laugh worthy, from Dan Humphrey in Gossip Girl to Prince Eric from A Little Mermaid. Yes, yes. I need to grow up. Love that you put the Beast on there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I just read your post on your family. Hope you are doing well. Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm flailing, Margo, flailing. LOVE THIS LIST. And oh my gosh, yes to Marcus. I loved that series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Margo. It has been ages since we connected. How does that happen? Not intentional for sure. I'd have to go with Hawkeye in Last of the Mohicans. He was yummy in the story and Daniel Day Lewis was amazing in the film, which I saw at least three times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know my impure musing about Corlath. In LOTR, Aragorn and Faramir both vie for my affections, but Luke Skywalker has my undying love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to go check out both your TTTs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, Ben Barnes. I love him. :D


    Usually I'll crush on a guy for the duration of the book and then move on, though I do have a few favs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, this is kinda awkward cause im like 14 but just came across this post and its epic! Ehm like I said kinda awkward but currently my fav fictional crush is Zach from a series called Gallagher Girls but on the topic of LOTR I love all of the hobbits especially Sam and me and my older sis think that Gimli is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh and Ben Barnes is amazing especially in Narnia!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

My Blog List