Thursday, February 14, 2013

An almost-kiss

In honor of Valentine's Day, I joined the Indie-Kissing blogfest, hosted by the Indelibles. For lots of steamy PG kissing scenes, head over to see all the links here.

Obviously, the spirit of this romantic day has somewhat deluded me, because:

a) I don't actually have a kissing scene to share because I totally chickened out when it came down to pasting a scene out here for anyone to see. Other writer's kissing scenes don't make me blush at all. My own??  Let's just say that if I get any redder in the face, it would bleed over through the internet. So I have an almost-kissing scene.

also,

b) I'm not an Indie author and I have nothing published yet to promote. I just love blogfests and I haven't done one in a while.

So, before I chicken out, I present to you my "almost" kissing scene from my YA science fiction work-in-progress, Startripped.



Lander starts to say something, then shakes his head and closes his eyes for a moment. He faces forward in his seat again.
“What were you going to say?”
He shakes his head again. “I don't want to influence you - either to stay, or leave,” he says. “This should be your decision. It's your life.” One hand tightens around the steering wheel, the other clutches the device that is somehow transmitting sight to my eyes. A cell-phone in disguise.
“Tell me anyway.”
He turns and leans toward me again. Closer than before. He lets go of the steering wheel and brushes my cheek, and for a moment, I think he's going to kiss me.
Or maybe it's just me. Great. I’ve just been offered the hardest choice of my life, by a guy who can’t tell me anything about himself, and I want to kiss him?
“I really want you to come with me, Camria.” His eyes are locked on mine. It’s a powerful thing, looking into someone else’s eyes, at such close range. Even more intimate, in a way, than kissing. More vulnerable. It feels like he’s looking right into me, into all the places in my soul where fears and insecurities lurk. I want to flinch away and divert my eyes, but his expression holds me. He’s just as exposed as I am. There is such pain behind his eyes, and such longing on the surface, and hope.


11 comments:

  1. LOL, I know what you mean about sharing. I actually read my almost kiss scene for today out loud and recorded it. Now I'm thinking of taking that down and just posting the snippet. However, I need to practice reading out loud and getting over the embarrassment, right?


    I loved how this ended with them looking into each other's eyes. It is very revealing and intimate. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about sharing story kisses! The one in my book felt too spoiler-y--you know just what I mean. I love the sentiment in this. Deep looks can be much more intimate than kissing. One can, after all, share kisses without ever revealing anything deep about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you chose to share an "almost" kiss scene. This feels so real. It reminds me of the almosts I experienced in high school. Those stay with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been bad at commenting lately (in general, so it's not personal, promise!) although I've been keeping up behind the scenes, but I had to for this kiss that didn't happen because it's so true. Eye contact is so much more vulnerable than a kiss. With a kiss you either get kissed back or you don't, you know how the person feels, but eye contact is intense and makes you feel broken open but is still kind of mysterious because you don't know 100% what the other person is thinking. So I like this, basically :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your almost-kissing scene!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost-kisses are even better than real kisses, sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true about looking in someone's eyes for an extended period of time. Almost more intimate than kissing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love almost-kisses! Great scene, and thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, that's exactly it - "broken open"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the tension! That unfulfilled kiss is powerful--probably even more than an actual kiss. :o) Thanks for being brave enough to share, Margo! It's a great scene. <3

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

My Blog List