|The first Wednesday of the month|
is time for Insecure Writers Support Group,
hosted by Alex Cavanaugh and his
1) "passes" sounds so much better than "rejections"
2) I have started a "surviving the querying process document." I went back through all my critique partners' and beta readers' comments and collected all the compliments, copied and pasted them into this document. That way when I get a "pass" and I need some encouragement, a reminder to keep going, I have instant access to some positive words.
3) I have links to other authors' posted statistics to remind myself that offers do appear even after fifty or seventy rejections. After first, second and even third books have been shelved, the fourth book gets an offer. Or the first book gets dusted off and revised and then gets an offer on its second round.
4) I remind myself of the best, most concise advice about publishing I've heard: "it's all about the timing" - from our IWSG inspiration, Alex Cavanaugh.
5) Keep writing. Start another project. Free write. Journal. It reminds me of why I love being a writer: because I LOVE TO WRITE.