Monday, July 21, 2014

Ready, Set, Write: the voices are back


Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting and accountability, and provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at in our writing—planning, drafting, revising, or polishing. This year, your RSW hosts are Alison MillerJaime MorrowErin Funk, and Katy Upperman. Find the rest of the details HERE.

* How I did on last week's goals: 


My goal for last week was to revise Star Tripped for at least 10 hours. I did it! Just barely. Finished at 11:18 pm Sunday night.

I finished reading the Fire Wish by Amber Lough.  Jinns! The Tigris River! Ancient Baghdad. Giant geodes. Wishes.... I love this kind of story that transports you away to another world, and it has a double love story. More details coming tomorrow. 
* My goals this week: 

I'll be thrilled to fit in 5 hours this week. County fair begins this week, and my daughters are competing pretty much for 3 days straight in different horse events. I have to run them to practice too, and help them make props and costumes for their "Ride to Music"  event.  But their ideas are so creative and fun, it's all worth it.
* A favorite line from my project OR a word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.

I know I’m a little crazy, talking to her like this. I like to blame it on the crazy cat lady in my head that keeps saying Liz isn’t really dead. Keep talking to her, the lady says, stroking an orange tabby on her lap.  If you keep talking to her, you won’t lose her.
* The biggest challenge I faced this week.

The chaos of my house. Clothes and toys everywhere. Dishes in the sink. Unswept floors. Yup, all the stuff I normally do before writing: I didn't do this week.

I got a lot of writing time in, but the revisions went really slowly. I didn't get much stuff crossed off my Needed Revisions list.  That was a challenge, too. Sometimes lists can be more discouraging than they are helpful. 
* Something I love about my WiP. 

Right now, I love that the voices of my characters are loud and opinionated in my head. Hopefully on paper too.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're making progress. And great you're having summer fun too. That's just as important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All best, Margo! Live first, then write. :-) Your daughters' horse events sound exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revisions can be beastly things. But it sounds like you really have a clear directions for where you want to go, and it is summer, after all. You are doing great! Have a fun, productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you got a lot done! There's always a lot of living to do in the summer, which I love.
    I've been hearing such good things about The Fire Wish--looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote! And your excerpt is so intriguing! Also, I know nothing about the chaos of a house. Nope. Nada. :)

    Sounds like you had an awesome week! Hope next week is just as wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a list-lover, but you're so right about how they can be discouraging too. When you see what you haven't crossed off versus what you have...tough! But it sounds like you've been doing a great job meeting your goals! Especially with so much other stuff going on. I really liked the excerpt you shared too! Hope you have a productive week and have lots of fun working with your daughters on their events! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that sign! It made me laugh. And the Fire Wish sounds interesting. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I hear you on the whole housework issue. I managed to balance laundry and writing this weekend which felt like a major accomplishment. Never mind the rest of the house though lol. Hope you can fit in your five hours of revising this next week without too much trouble and that you have loads of fun at the county fair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun line! And that's so great to see your characters so clearly! During revision that's a huge help! Good luck getting your 5 hours this week. I hope they're productive for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's a great line. Hope your girls do well with the horse events. And I can't believe you got 10 hours in! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least you have goals. I lost that list and don't have time to create it again. Summer must last a long time this year, so I can catch up. Good luck on that horse event.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, sounds intense - everything, the revision, the horse shows. Good luck with all of it! I can relate to trying to write amid the chaos of everyday life. I'm happy if I can get any writing or revising done. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

My Blog List