There really aren't any famous cars in books, though, except maybe that Stephen King demon car Christine. These things are meant to be seen and not just read about.
Since I haven't done a non-bookish Top Ten in a lonnnnng time, here's a list of my favorite famous cars I've seen from the movies and TV shows.
10. The Italian Job - Mini Coopers
I didn't appreciate these little beauties until my stepdaughter bought one (just like the one in this pic) and I actually started driving it once in a while. So. Much. Fun.
9. The Cannonball Run - Lamborghini Countach
I couldn't believe such things could be real, when I saw this movie for the first time in the 1980's.
8. Back to the Future - 1981 De Lorean DMC-12
Unlike the Countach, the De Lorean hasn't managed to retain its "cool factor" so much. It looks very dated. But it will always be cool because of the movie.
7. From the movie Transformers: Bumblebee transformed into a Chevrolet Camaro, always updating to the last model (wouldn't that be nice in real life).
6. From the TV show Knight Rider - "KITT" 1982 Pontiac Firebird TransAm. When I was 13 years old, this was the ULTIMATE car. I always wondered if you could buy it with that cool moving red light in the front.
5. From the movie Gone in 60 Seconds: Mustang 1967 Shelby GT 500 "Eleanor" (a rare original can sell for several million at auction!)
4. Thelma and Louise: 1966 Ford Thunderbird convertible. If you are going to die in tragic style, this is a good way to go. My Dad had a similar model in his swinging single days (he's still alive, fortunately).
3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off: 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder SWB. Because if you're going to skip school this is the way to go.
The last two are not yet made famous by movies or TV shows that I know of, but should be!
2. Knight XV ($295,000) - like a Hummer on serious steroids. Surprised that this kind of "don't mess with me" vehicle hasn't gotten famous yet from a movie, like the ones above.
1. This is actually the car that has Margo written all over it. I don't know why - I just think it's pretty. Go ahead, guess what it is and how expensive. (In real life, when I can't steal my stepd's Mini Cooper, I drive a Chevy Uplander. Oh well. It gets the job done).
Now you gotta tell me what your dream car is!